Monday, May 11, 2009

I planted Hollyhocks in my garden last year and they don't appear to be coming up yet ???

This fall I cut them back all the way to the ground. Now remaining stalks are mushy and don't appear to be sprouting. Are they Bi-annuals and if so, what does that exactly mean ???

I planted Hollyhocks in my garden last year and they don't appear to be coming up yet ???
Yes, Hollyhocks are biennials. A biennial is a plant that grows one year, comes back the next, blooms, sets seed and dies. When I want to get a biennial going in my garden as if it were a perennial I buy a plant or more each year for at least 2 years, usually more like 3 or 4. I also will often add seeds from seed packets at the approximate time of year that the plant naturally sets seed. Biennials are kind of a pain in the butt but some of them are worth the trouble. I don't know when you cut your stalks last fall but if the seed hadn't fully ripened and dropped that could explain your lack of growth this year. If plants did grow (or do, they just might not be up yet) you still wouldn't have flowers on them this year which is why I buy plants for a few years. Hollyhocks are funny because they can be really easy and tough or they can act as if they are some exotic orchid and I've never figured out exactly why. If you want them, try again and add seeds and be sure to leave your stalks standing long enough to complete their cycle.


Good luck!

Vagabond Inn Merced

No comments:

Post a Comment