Wednesday, April 29, 2009

I need photos to help identify plants?

Its early spring and I have plants coming up that I am not sure what they are. Is there any place that shows photos of plants at their earliest "two-leaf" stage? In particular: viola, zinnea, larkspur, lupin, hollyhock, columbine. I am a new gardener and can hardly tell a weed from a flower at such an early stage. I usually have to wait until they are about 8 to 12 inches high before I know which is which.

I need photos to help identify plants?
its usually only something you can learn from experience... the seed leaves(cotyledons) look NOTHING like the true leaves (next leaves to come up) after the true leaves come up its a lot easier...but still can be difficult for some... pictures do help since a lot of plants are hard to describe...





here is one site that looks confusing but provides some pictures on weeds...it might help you rule some out...


and the other site has some herbaceous plants that might help you a little... good luck... and happy hunting...
Reply:http://web1.msue.msu.edu/msue/iac/e1363/...


This has loads of information on identifying weed seedlings as opposed to the plant seedlings.


No comments:

Post a Comment