Wednesday, April 29, 2009

How can I get what look to be dead, Magnolias to start growing again?

My MIL has a small garden of what I was told were Magnolias. It just look like a bunch of weed stems to me. They look dead, and nothing is blooming or budding. I want to plant some Hollyhock and some other flowers there, but will the Magnolias ever come back or should I just dig them up and compost them?

How can I get what look to be dead, Magnolias to start growing again?
Any Magnolia I know of has woody stems and come into bud in Spring. It does sound as if these are dead....but to be sure, dig carefully aound the roots and see what they look like. If they are dead they will come up out of the ground very easily when you pull them. If they have some life they will be more resistant and look lighter in colour. If you think there is life there, cut the stems above ground down to where they are no longer brittle and wait for a few weeks.


Start your hollyhocks off in pots and keep them watered. They can go in if you find there is no life in the magnolias.


There's no need to keep the magnolias there if you don't want them there.....dig them up!
Reply:dig them up and compost them.when planting your other flowers don't forget to add fertilizer to them they will grow much hardier and stronger.


No comments:

Post a Comment