Wednesday, April 29, 2009

When is the best time to plant hollyhock seeds in warm so calif climate?

I threw heirloom seeds 2yrs ago and this year I finally got plants with flowers! I'm confused as well, because I've seen them sprout from nothing on vacant lots and I just can't seem to grow them!

When is the best time to plant hollyhock seeds in warm so calif climate?
Drop the seeds the ground where you want them to grow. Hardly cover and let nature do her thing.
Reply:You can plant hollyhock seeds just about any time and they'll grow for you, but the best time is in the spring. That said, I planted some just before the heatwave and they're doing fine. Be aware that they need sunlight to germinate, so you'll want to barely cover them with dirt and you won't want to plant them in the shade. It's okay if that spot of dirt will be shady during the winter when the sun is further south, but (in my experience) hollyhock seeds won't germinate in the shade. Also, hollyhocks like average soil, so don't ammend it with anything. Here's a web page with more info:


http://www.gardenguides.com/flowers/pere...


No comments:

Post a Comment